Frequently Asked Questions

What is Speech and Language?

Speech refers to:

Language refers to:

For typical developmental milestones for these areas, see the Developmental Milestones page.

Would my child benefit from speech-language therapy at TALK?

If you suspect that your child may have a speech or language concern (see Developmental Milestones) a speech-language Initial Assessment may be warranted. If you have any questions, please Contact Us and an experienced therapist can discuss your concerns and assist with deciding whether an assessment would be appropriate. Remember that every child is different and that speech/language develops at varying rates even amongst siblings.

Can you help my child talk?

If you are concerned about your child’s speech and language development you should definitely consult with a speech pathologist. It is true that many children acquire these skills in their own time, however, for those children that require additional support to develop those skills we are here.

For children with limited expressive language skills we can help develop a means of communicating skills through requesting, turn talking, communicative intent and much more. We can also help children increase auditory comprehension skills through receptive language training of spatial and temporal concepts, multi step commands and many other areas. Each child’s needs are individual and therefore we make individualized plans for each child, see Our Approach.

Can we help your child to talk? YES! In many ways!

How long will my child be in therapy?

The length of time that a child spends in therapy is very dependent on his or her individual needs. Length of time is also very dependent on follow-through at home. A strong home component is necessary to the success of the therapy.

What do I need to do help my child?

Parents and caregivers are very critical for therapeutic progress. As your child is only in therapy a limited amount of time per week, carrying over suggestions at home is necessary for progress. The course of treatment is also decreased by consistent attendance, follow-through at home, and generalization across other environments that your child may be involved in.

Make language part of everyday experiences in a fun and natural way. Set time aside daily to play with your child, talk about what you and he/she are doing, and try to read to him/her daily. If possible find opportunities for him/her to socialize with other children. Avoid comparisons between your child’s speech and other children’s. See Resources for helpful sites and literature.

How is therapy at TALK different than therapy offered at school?

At TALK, we require clients to attend individual sessions a minimum of twice a week, as research has shown that to make progress, children need repetition. Our therapy is geared toward improving a child’s speech, language, and communication across settings (See Our Approach). School therapy needs to be based on your child’s educational needs. It is also necessary to qualify for those services. Due to time constraints in the schools, sessions tend to be much shorter in your child’s school-based programs. Therapists may not be able to provide the intensity and the frequency that is needed. We emphasize contact with your child’s school therapist for consistency in treatment and sharing of information from setting to setting.

If my child has a speech delay will he/she have learning difficulties?

There is no way of knowing for sure when a child is very young if he/she will have learning difficulties later on. Depending on the type of language issues the child has and his/her age, there is frequently a correlation between expressive and receptive language difficulties and later difficulties in school with reading, writing, comprehending classroom content material, focus and attention. However, each case is individual and generalizations are not necessarily useful.

Is it a problem if we speak another language?

Young children who are exposed to more than one language may demonstrate language skills that are below those expected of children who are exposed to only one language. This delay in language development does not necessarily indicate a language disorder. An evaluation by a licensed speech-language pathologist can help differentiate a language disorder from normal bilingual language development. A child with a language disorder may have difficulty learning two languages at one time. When more than one language is spoken at home, it is not necessary to speak to your child only in English, but it is important to keep the two languages separate. This can be done by saying complete sentences in only one language, or better yet, one parent speaks to the child in one language and the other parent speaks the other language.

What is the difference between a Speech-Language Pathologist, a speech therapist, speech teacher?

A speech-language pathologist is a licensed professional with the following minimum qualification: 1) possesses a master’s degree in communicative disorders or speech-language pathology; 2) has passed a national exam in speech-language pathology; and 3) has completed a 9 month clinical fellowship year under a qualified supervisor and possesses the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP). The titles are often used interchangeably. See About Us.